The following Timeline shows the major events of Riverview UMC from 1966-2016 when 50 years was celebrated.
1965 - Land purchased for the new EUB/Methodist Church
June 1966 - Rev. Robert Feind and family moved to Huron to begin organizing a new EUB/Methodist Church in Huron
Nov. 20, 1966 - First meeting on new church held at Madison School - First pastor Rev. Robert Feind - The first service had 90 in worship, 42 in Sunday School and a Choir - Lawrence Ketel was appointed the first lay leader.
Jan. 1967 - Church was chartered with 62 members.
June 18, 1967 - Ground breaking for the new church, 1640 Simmons Ave. SE, Huron, SD
July 1967 - Construction began on the new church at a cost of $120,000
Dec. 31, 1967 - First service in the new church
Jan. 28, 1968 - Dedication of the new Riverview UM Church - Bishop E.R. Garrison gave the sermon
May 20, 1968 - Cavour UMC merged with Riverview UMC
Aug. 24, 1968 - First Wedding held in Riverview United Methodist Church - Susan Loos and Richard Oliver
Dec 29, 1968 - Karen Jensen baptized
June 1971 - Riverview and Virgil churches became a yoked parish
1973 - Riverview and Virgil became a 2 point charge of Methodist churches, sharing the same minister
Dec. 1979 - EUB signed Riverview Church over to the SD Annual Conference of the UMC
1983 - Mrs. Robert Feind returned to Riverview to burn the mortgage for construction of the church - Earl Stucke gave th morning message, "New Frontiers for Christians today"
May 13, 1988 - Ground breaking for new parsonage - Bob Ruedebusch was pastor - House was built by the Huron High School Vocational Class
1990 - Building committee for church expansion project was established
1992 - Saturday evening El Shaddai Services began
1993 - Capital Fund Drive "Vision for the Future" was started to raise funds for new addition - Tom Baruth, Chair - Frank Witte came to Riverview as a consultant to lead us in a stewardship and capital/building campaign - It was an opportunity to spur on one's commitment to Christ and Christ's church and to begin the commitment and vision for the wonderful addition of a fellowship hall and new kitchen
1999-2000 - New addition was built at a projected cost of $450,000 - General contractor was Wiedenman Construction - Bob Crawford was Chair of the Building Committee - After the structure, plumbing, and wiring were completed, members of the Congregation finished work on the inside of the addition
June 26, 2016 - 50th Anniversary Celebration of Riverview United Methodist Church
The following timeline shows the major events of Virgil UMC through the years of 1885-2015 when Virgil UMC's 130th Anniversary was celebrated.
March 1885 - The Virgil Episcopal Church began with Holden Cook as leader.
Virgil, Wolsey, Bonilla and Baker's Schoolhouse made up a Circuit with S. A. French as the first pastor. Virgil's services were held in the schoolhouse in the afternoon.
October 1893 - for some unknown reason, all church members transferred to Alpena.
1893 - 1898 Church history is vague.
1889 - Dakota Territory becomes state of South Dakota.
1903 - C.L. Cone reorganized the Virgil church.
1905 - A church is built under the pastorate of A.B. Sheperd.
April 1, 1906 - The church was dedicated.
1910 - A bell was placed on the church called "The Probation Bell".
1915 - Sunday School attendance was about 100.
1918 - The old church building was west of the tracks next to the hotel.
December 28, 1919 - The congregation grew so muchthat a new church building was built. The present church was dedicated on this date.
1929 - Virgil was served by pastors residing in Alpena beginning with J.E. Washburn's pastorage.
October 27, 1935 - 50th Anniversary was celebrated with Rev. Eschliman as pastor.
April 5, 1953 - With Rev. A.L. Walker as pastor, 27 people were received as new members - the most members ever received at one time. He served the church for 8 years.
1960 - The church celebrated its 75th anniversary while Rev. Donald Greenough was the pastor.
1968 - The Methodist Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUB) to become the United Methodist Church.
1963-1971 - Virgil had no assigned pastor. The pulpit was filled by a lay person, Newton Staley of huron.
1968 - During Newton Staley's lay leadership, an electronic organ was purchased with Ethel Bauder and Bonnie Guthmiller as organists.
June 1971 The new Riverview United Methodist Church in Huron became Virgil's sister church and shared a common pastor, Re. Robert Feind.
1985 - The Virgil parsonage housed the S.H. Taylor Presbyterian family for 40 years. Later it was sold and moved to a lot in rural Huron.
2012 - Alice Bolte Wullweber, a dedicated church member and worker for over 80 years, passed away.
2012 - The organ and old upright piano were set aside and an electronic piano was purchased.
2015 - Current membership is 58 members plus 12 constituents and 15 preparatory members/children.